The Science of it all

As I was meeting with my Diabetic Educator the other day, it was really just a get to know her appointment, as my previous DE has moved on to another position elsewhere. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed speaking with her, because she is very detailed and only wants the best for her patients...as far as I can see.

Now, many of you know I pride myself on learning and knowing all I can about my multiple illnesses, and I believe that as a patient one needs to be knowledgeable and understand what they have been diagnosed with. As the time passed, we discussed everything from, how many units I need to take at mealtime, how many units to take at bedtime, carb counting and weight loss/gain. Once we got deep into our conversation, and I shared with her that I was losing weight without trying. So she then went to the famous "white board" with her wonderful diagram to show why the weight is falling off of me....LOL!

Now, understand that my body is 1)not producing enough insulin to sustain me, so that is why I take daily insulin subcutaneous injections, and 2) the glucose that is in my body stays in my blood stream and does not move to my cells. So, when I say that I am tired it is because my body cannot turn my glucose into energy, and my body is attacking itself by taking my fat, which in turn does not provide the energy I need to get through a day without feeling drained.  After my doctor explained everything to me, it made more sense to me why I have been feeling very exhausted. I am not perfect, nor do I claim to be; but one thing I will always be is STRONG!

I know many people look at me, and wonder how I do it. My response is simple....PRAYER, and a great medical team! I never thought that I would be a Type 1 diabetic, much less an individual that is living with multiple chronic illnesses. I take it one day at a time, and learn all I can. Never let the illness have control over you, to where you are mentally drained and cannot function in your daily life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Caregivers need care too!

Economical Constraints of Life with a Chronic Illness

Happy New Year! Out with the OLD, in with the NEW!