Economical Constraints of Life with a Chronic Illness
I myself had to deal with this, and I have to admit that it was all so shocking to me to find out, that my seizure meds cost less with my Medicare insurance and GoodRX. I was also able to receive my test strips at a much lower cost; but there was something missing.....MY INSULIN!!! The problem is a medication that I NEED, I was unable to purchase because even with the prescription savings program and my insurance, I was required to pay $1100 out of pocket for four viles. My seizure medication only cost $20. I find this to be insane; and let's not discuss that I use the Omnipod Insulin delivery system, and it would be costly for me to purchase the pods to maintain life.
These medications are not just your regular cold medicine that you can get OTC, they are a necessity. Big Pharma is constantly raising the costs of medicine and not thinking about the many people that require it. Their pockets get fatter while our life hangs in the balance. There have been one too many diabetics that have died, due to them rationing their insulin because the medication was TOO costly.
We have to be our own voice, we need to be our own advocates. The change begins and ends with us! Congress needs to hear our stories and the stories of those who have lost their lives, because they couldn't afford their prescription.
Comments
Post a Comment